Uniform Dress Code
Examples of proper school uniforms are on our Web site: www.hearnacademy.org
Hearn Academy believes that appropriate dress and grooming contribute to a safe and productive learning environment. Students are required to show proper attention to personal cleanliness, neatness, and conservative standards of dress and appearance. We strive to create a safe environment in which each student can focus on learning, develop an awareness of others, develop character, self-esteem and good citizenship skills, instill respect and self-discipline. Student dress standards also promote a positive image of the school within the community and encourage students to uphold and enhance that image.
Uniforms must be worn at all times. This includes field trips, ½ days, and picture days (school authorized exceptions may occur). All students will be checked at the beginning of class for uniform compliance. No clothes are to advertise alcohol, tobacco, gangs, drugs, or contain rude or offensive words or images. In the event of a uniform violation the following actions will take place:
- 1st occurrence- Note home and change of clothing from nurse if available.
- 2nd occurrence- Parent will be called to bring change of clothes and student will do class work in office until parent brings uniform.
- 3rd occurrence- Parent to make immediate arrangements for student pick up.
Colors: primary red, white, black, navy, and baby blue with no emblems, pockets or striping of any kind.
Style: short or long sleeve polo style shirt with no more than 3 buttons down the front is mandatory.
Clothing that may be worn in combination with a polo shirt:
Uniform top colored sweaters, sweatshirts, pull over sweater vest, turtlenecks, long sleeve t-shirts, and undershirts with no emblems or words. The collar of the polo shirt must be visible at all times.
Articles not meeting these requirements will not be permitted in the classroom
Colors: Khaki, Navy, and Black
- Docker style(cotton twill)
- Cotton(twill polyester-plain) or pleated
- Docker style (cotton twill)
- No knit, sweat pants, cargo, corduroy, denim, ruffled, or body hugging material
- No more than 4 pockets/ no side pockets, cargo pockets or loops
- Proper hem length - No more than 3 inches above the knee
- Cannot be form fitting (cannot be fitted to outline the shape of the body) No skinny jeans
- Must fit properly and worn at the waist
- No side pockets, No Cargo Pants
** All clothing is to fit properly (not too tight or too loose), be in good condition with hemmed seams, and may not be ripped or torn. No lace or rhinestones are permitted on any uniform clothing.**
Out of class attire: Students may wear non uniform color jackets to and from school and outside the classroom. (They may not have inappropriate pictures, words or any item deemed inappropriate for a school setting).
In class attire: Students may wear plain colored jackets, sweaters or sweatshirts, undershirts in school shirt uniform colors only in classes. Under shirts must be navy blue, powder blue, white or primary red and tucked into pants.
- Tennis shoes with Rubber soles are mandatory everyday for safety reasons (no heelies, clogs, wedges, boots or sandals, etc.) No exceptions for special dress days such as PJ day. Administration & P.E. will have the final approval.
- Shoes must provide substantial support for P.E. and is designed specifically for athletic use. These shoes may incorporate a variety of rubber soles and styles, but their primary function is to support and control the foot during athletics type events. Shoes should not extend past the ankle and no hiking shoes are not to be worn. Class policy is if a student is not wearing the required shoes the student will not be allowed to participate in class. If a student comes to class 2 times during a quarter (4 per semester) with inappropriate shoes their grade will be dropped by one letter grade. The physical education teacher will make the decision if a shoe is appropriate for class or not.
- Shoes & Shoelaces must match
- Shoes & Shoelaces must match
- No hats, hoods, gloves or scarves are to be worn inside any building but may be worn outside for protection from elements
- No sunglasses are to be worn in any way indoors
- A belt is optional and may only be solid black or brown with a standard buckle and must be worn through all pant loops with no excess belt hanging from the loops
- No body piercing jewelry except the ear lobes
- No ear expanding
- Earrings may not be larger than a ½ inch hoop or hang longer than ½ inch
- Jewelry, if worn, must be kept to a maximum of one bracelet and/or one necklace and shall not consist of safety pins, paperclips, chain connectors or any form of stud or spike.
- No sweatbands (head or wrist), bandanas wrapped around forehead or neckties
- Ankle bracelets are not permitted
- Any item that becomes an interruption in the learning process may be taken away
- No temporary tattoos
- No suspenders
Hair must be clean and may not be dyed an unnatural color and not have excessive streaking.
Excessive hairstyles that call attention to the individual or disrupt the learning process will not be permitted i.e. mohawks, long spikes, hair may not have any razor cutting i.e. numbers, designs etc.
**Inappropriate attire/grooming is not limited to the above. Staff will refer questionable
attire/grooming to the administration for the final determination.
Optional Friday Attire:
Jeans: Must fit properly, not be torn, ripped, low riding, or baggy and must follow the uniform restrictions. Cannot be form fitting, (cannot be fitted to outline the shape of the body).
Tops: Uniform top or Hearn Husky shirt